5083 aluminium sheet is a medium strength, composed mainly of aluminium, magnesium and manganese.5083 aluminium metal sheet and plate has the highest strength of the non-heat treatable alloys.
Aluminium alloy 5083 contains 5.2% magnesium, 0.1% manganese and 0.1% chromium. In the tempered condition, it is strong, and retains good formability due to excellent ductility.
This is an excellent marine environment corrosion resistant aluminum alloy, It is primarily an alloy used for its corrosion resistant properties as it is especially good on inter granular corrosion resistance.
Also, the tensile and yield strength is higher than 5086 alloy, so often these properties too are used by designers for their aluminum vessels. This alloy also has good welding capabilities for fabricating vessels.
Physical properties of 5083 aluminum sheet
The 5000 series grades of aluminium are non heat-treatable alloys. 5083 alloy aluminium metal sheet has the highest strength of the non-heat treatable alloys but is not recommended for use in temperatures in excess of 65°C.
Aluminium 5083 has higher Tensile and Yield strengths than Alloy 5086 but less than 5456. it is a strong magnesium-manganese-chromium-aluminium alloy. It can be hardened by cold work.
5083 aluminum sheet is a medium strength, comphosed mainly of aluminum, magnesium and manganese and standard specifications include AMS 4057, AMS 4058, ASTM B210 and more.
5083 Aluminum Alloy Metal – Supplied in sheet marine grade tempers H116, H321, H323; to spec ASTM B928. Tempers.O, H112, H32; to spec ASTM B209, and extrusion shapes in various tempers and specifications.
Mechanical Property Specification (single values are minima except as noted)
There are many annealing tempers for 5083 aluminum alloy, and the properties of different states are also different.
1) Alloy 5083 H321 and H116 aluminum plate are usually used on ship/ boat building.
2) O, H32, H38 can be used in automobile and other industries.
3) Properties for H116 and H321 reduced at thickness over 40mm. Tensile strength 285MPa min and yield strength 200MPa min.
4) Elongations specified for H116 and H321 vary slightly depending on gauge. Measurement gauge length also varies. Refer to ASTM B928M for details.
5083 Aluminum Sheet Physical Properties
Possible Alternative Alloys
5083 aluminum mechanical properties
It is highly suitable for welding and can be hardened by cold work. Because Aluminum Sheet Alloy 5083 with excellent corrosion resistance, particularly salt water corrosion resistance, it is used in marine applications.
Since Alloy 5083 aluminum sheet plate is capable of withstanding extremely low temperatures without brittleness or loss of properties, it is especially suited to the cryogenic market. Alloy 5083 has been used in vehicle armor plate due to its high strength factor.
Aluminium 5083 is known for exceptional performance in extreme environments. Aluminium 5083 is highly resistant to attack by both seawater and industrial chemical environments.
The temper is achieved by the plate being fully annealed and then rolled to the required temper, rather than being heat treated.
Typical Mechanical Properties in different Temper
-O, F, H111, H112, H12, H14, H22, H24,
-H32, H34, 38
-T4, T6, T651, T6511
-T6, T651, T6511, T7351
Annealing – O, F
Hot Work- T1, H111, H112
Cold Work – H12, H14, H16, H18, H32, H34, H116, H321
Heat Treatment – T3, T4, T5, T6, T8
Over Aging Treatment – T73, T74, T76, T79
Stress Relieved – T351, T451, T651, T7351, T7451, T7651, T7951, T851
Mingtai aluminum stocks thicknesses from .250″ – 2.00″, widths up to 120″ and lengths up to 300″ or can accommodate any customer specific requirements. All material is fully certified to ASTM B209 and ASME SB209.
Applications of 5083 aluminum sheet
1) It has the low density and excellent thermal conductivity common to all aluminium alloys. Alloy 5083 is best known as a plate for ship building.The alloy is also produced as extruded seamless tube and other extrusions and as forgings.
2) Shipbuilding, Pressure Vessels and General maritime fabricated products.
3) require a weldable alloy of high to moderate strength, with good corrosion resistance.
4) Commonly used in the manufacture of unfired, welded pressure vessels, marine, auto aircraft cryogenics, drilling rigs, TV towers, transportation equipment, and in missile components, drilling rigs, armour plate.
5) Its high corrosion resistance, especially salt water corrosion resistance, makes it an excellent material for marine and processing applications.
6) 5083 aluminum sheet performs well in extremely cold environments without becoming brittle and is a popular material for cryogenic equipment. It is easy to form, stamp and weld. 5083 has high resistance to corrosion, and is used in marine applications.
5083 Marine Grade Aluminum metal. The commonly used temper of 5083 aluminum sheet is H116/ H321/ H112, with a thickness of 3-200mm and a width of 1500-2600mm.
It is widely used for ship engine bases, ship decks, ship sides, bottom outer plates, etc., covering the hulls of yachts and cruise ships, etc.
5083 Medium Thickness Aluminum Plate/ Ultra Wide 5083 Aluminum Sheet: Mold, LNG storage tank, flange material, GIS high-voltage switch housing, precision machining, etc.
Other uses for this alloy include transportation applications such as rail, truck, and vehicle bodies, as well as pressure vessels and food processors.